Thursday, May 24, 2012

Q & A, Part 1: Your Questions Answered

Wow. We're already over 30 comments in THIS POST. It's been so much fun getting to know my readers better!

I promised I'd answer at least ONE question for every 10 comments---and ya'll haven't disappointed me! Some of the questions will require their own individual post, so I'll start with some of the "shorter" answers.

DO YOU MENU PLAN?

Yes and no. :) I plan for what meals I'm going to make each week. But I don't pick which day I'm going to make each meal. My days are often unpredictable right now, so I pick which meal fits best with how our day is going. I do plan for an easy dinner on church days and Thursday (violin lessons).

ARE YOU PLANNING ANY MORE ADDITIONS?

Great question. :)

Definitely YES! We love children and would always welcome more.

Right now, we are praying that the Lord will bless us with another biological baby. Our children pray more for a baby brother/sister than anything else! :)

Regardless of whether we are blessed in that way or not, we want to adopt again. Our hearts will always be in China, but we're actually hoping to bring home one or two boys from Africa.

Bonding as a family is going well, but we need some time in-between adoptions, to allow our children time to adjust, so we're not beginning another adoption just yet.

IF YOU HAVE AN EASILY DISTRACTED CHILD, HOW DO YOU KEEP HIS/HER ATTENTION ON SCHOOLWORK-HOW DO YOU MOTIVATE A CHILD WHO HASN'T FOUND THEIR INNER MOTIVATION YET?

Be creative. Not every child learns the same way or enjoys the same curriculum. Find what works for your child.

Don't require unnecessary busywork. Enough said. :)

Do school at their optimal learning time. For some children, this is mid-morning, for others, it is mid-afternoon.

Do schoolwork in short, intense bursts. Nathaniel (7) is motivated to do more when he knows he can go play in 30 minutes.

Reward small accomplishments. I keep a bag of small candy (jelly beans, skittles, or m&m's) for school rewards. The younger children receive one piece of candy for each page completed. This visual reminder and tangible reward have motivated even my most reluctant learners.

Feed them brain food, not junk. Pop-tarts don't feed your child's brain like healthier foods do. I find a high-protein snack (we like almonds, peanuts, cheese, or yogurt with fruit and granola) in the middle of school helps our children focus better and longer.

Be flexible. One of the greatest advantages to homeschooling is that if the child isn't "getting it", you can come back to it later.

Remember, you're the boss. :) After you've been creative, cut out the unnecessary busywork, fed their brains, and rewarded their accomplishments---sometimes they just have to do the work whether they like it or not. Evaluate whether the reluctant learner is immature or rebellious. One needs grace and TIME, the other needs a firm authority that says "You must do your work because Mommy told you to do it." :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I have time for this morning. Keep the comments and questions coming, and I'll do my best to answer them all.

Remember, I'll answer at least ONE question for every 10 comments!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any and all comments as long as they are Christ-honoring. Please let me know what you think!